The Internship Program at ConceptLink
This is not a get-the-coffee kind of position. An internship at ConceptLink is an experience in a fast-learning, get-your-hands-dirty, social impact start-up. This is experience is what you make of it.
Whether you’re looking to start your own social enterprise someday or just want experience in an internship that really matters, the Internship Program at ConceptLink will provide you the opportunity for professional development and experience in the Africa social impact sector.
“Interning at ConceptLink was a game changer for my professional development. ConceptLink is a small company doing big things and as a result I was assigned projects that were interesting and impactful. ConceptLink’s culture is rooted in strong values, which I felt through all aspects of the company and team. I felt proud to be working for a company that is deeply committed to its mission and the success of its employees. The CEO and ConceptLink team members were always available to guide, teach, and mentor me through my work. It is rare to find a company such as ConceptLink that is so dedicated to the success and development of its interns.” – Katie Sagan, 2012
During your first week, we’ll sit down with you to scope out a relevant project that’s in line with your interests and future goals. Other aspects of your role will include helping to implement fundraising projects and events for ConceptLink and our clients. You’ll also play a significant role in ConceptLink’s global communications by providing content for our social media platforms, blog, and other publications.
“I wanted an internship where I would be an important part of a team, not just an observer. At ConceptLink, I was an integral part of the success of the business and its clients. I enjoyed the experience so much, I took a full-time position!” – Whitney Bonham, 2011
During Your Internship, You’ll Build Core Competencies Like:
- Proficiency in communications and social media platforms
- An understanding of nonprofit fundraising – including stakeholder relationship management and the donor cultivation cycle
- Social sector management skills
- Event planning skills
- Financial analysis skills
- Participation in client meetings
- Direct access to CEO and management
- Training in Microsoft Office
- $150 stipend for professional development activities
- Academic credit and/or reference letter upon internship completion
- Team building activities
“What stood out to me most during my internship was the extra effort ConceptLink’s executives took to assure that as an intern, I left with valuable skills that will be useful in my future endeavors. Plus, ConceptLink’s love for what they do and for the people they work with is immeasurable. My internship was a beyond-great opportunity.” –Yashnica Mothersil 2012
We have a small, close-knit team and we’re selective about who we work with. Our colleagues treat each other with respect, regardless of title or position. We want to work with you if:
- You share our goal of empowering mission-driven organizations working in Africa
- You have a demonstrated interest in the non-profit sphere, strategy development, market research, or a related field
- You can demonstrate a high attention to detail and quality
- You have experience with email marketing platforms such as MailChimp, Vertical Response, or ConstantContact
- You have experience organizing events
- Words that others would use to describe you include go-getter, analytical, thorough, humble, creative, reliable, independent thinker
- You are enthusiastic and have a positive attitude about performing some mundane tasks
- You enjoy working with a start-up company
- You have a personal laptop, cell phone and internet access
Location: New York
Time Commitment: 15 hours per week over a period of at least 3 months
This is an unpaid position, but ideal for a student looking to gain academic credit or a meaningful experience at a social impact strategy firm.
Business Development Specialist
Applications Reviewed on a Rolling Basis
We are currently seeking part-time Business Development Specialists to establish business relationships with nonprofits, foundations, and socially responsible companies working in Africa.
Business Development Specialists will share ConceptLink’s goal of helping Africa-interest organizations effect change in their communities. Specialists will generate new leads and assist in structuring proposals and presentations introducing the company and our services to potential clients.
This role requires more than just “selling.” Successful candidates will serve as trusted advisors providing both strategic and tactical approaches for ConceptLink’s growth and development. Where appropriate, we also offer opportunities for Specialists to serve as consultants and execute projects within their area(s) of expertise.
This role requires proactive and experienced individuals to develop and maintain ConceptLink’s new client relationships.
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree
- Minimum 3 years relevant professional experience
- Proven success in business development or sales
- Expert with MS Office
- Enjoy working with a startup company
- Entrepreneurial spirit
- Superior client relationship skills
- Assertive and persistent
- Proactive and able to work autonomously
- High level of integrity
- Organized; high attention to detail and quality
- Must have a personal laptop, cell phone and internet access
Location: New York or Johannesburg
Time Commitment: Flexible
This is a non-salaried position, but offers a competitive commission to an entrepreneurial associate.
Associates / Freelancers
Applications Reviewed on a Rolling Basis
We are always looking for talented people to work with us on a contract or freelance basis. If you’ve got skills in the following areas, we want to hear from you:
- Event Planning
- Fundraising / Grantwriting
- Philanthropy Consulting
- Graphic design
- Social Media
- Public Relations